.

Thursday 22 March 2007

foreign money isn't the same

I haven't posted very much in the last couple of days because I've been in Brussels on holiday - I had a great time, thanks. Whilst I was in the capital of the Eurozone, I spent about £55 in cash, and about £140 on a selection of cards (mostly the one credit card I think).

I noticed, however, that the money didn't seem real. I found it quite hard to connect the euros that I was spending with the pounds that I earn. I think its interesting that the value of money (at least for me) is bound up in the currency I'm spending. For example, I have no idea whether the meals that I was buying were expensive or cheap (or the beer or chocolate for that matter).

I basically acted as if the euros were Monopoly money. Does anyone have any ideas about how I could have gone about it differently?

No comments: